The Department of Housing and Residence Education staff and residents actively participate in a variety of community service and outreach programs. We are always looking for new and innovative ways to contribute, so step out as a new community leader to help us write our story!
- Spring Check-Out Recycling Project
- Donations of non-perishable food, clothes, small appliances, new and used school supplies, and electronics are collected in residence hall lobby areas during Spring check-out for Salvation Army, Habitat for Humanity, he Outreach Center of Gainesville, Haven Hospice, and Bread of the Mighty Food Bank.
- Alachua school supply donations in partnership with Altrusa Club
- ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) classes in partnership with Alachua County School Board
- Serving dinners at Ronald McDonald House, Catholic Workers House, & Francis House
- Volunteering at Jungle Friends Primate Sanctuary
- Volunteering in Alachua County Schools
- Team Ohana for Relay for Life American Cancer Society Fundraiser
- The department hosts an active team for an overnight fundraiser and raises an average of $5000 annually for the Relay for Life Cancer Society. Activities include yard sales, lunch BBQs, gift basket raffles, and a “Kiss the Pig” penny war competition.
- Holiday Toys for Tots collections
- Voter Registration assistance to campus residents
Community and Connection Award
WHAT IS IT?
- Our department receives numerous messages each week, describing the generous, kind and caring efforts of HRE employees. The Community & Connection Award has been established for residents to be able recognize the role of HRE employees who have served as a support and/or resource that has contributed to their positive experience in Housing.
WHY DO YOU WANT TO RECOGNIZE SOMEONE FOR IT?
- Residents look for ways to express their appreciation for assistance, care, or simply someone going out of their way to make their lives a bit less stressful. The unique aspect of this award is that an employee can only be nominated for the award by a current resident in a residential facility—single student housing or graduate and family housing.