Thank you for choosing to live with UF Housing! We hope you decide to live with us again in the future.
The information below is meant to support your move-out process. Please let our staff members know is there is anything we can do to assist you.
When your contract has ended or you have received an approved cancellation/appeal, please follow the designated closing date.
You are required to attend their Resident Assistant’s floor meeting or schedule an individual meeting to review closing procedures. Based on the information given at that meeting and in this document, please plan your move-out accordingly.
FALL 2017 -- December 16, 2017
SPRING 2018 -- May 5, 2018
There are two options to move out of your room for each semester: Express or Traditional Move Out.
TRADITIONAL MOVE OUT
1. Make an appointment with your Resident Assistant for room move-out
• Appointments must be made 24 hours in advance and must be completed by 11:30 a.m. on the Saturday of closing.
• Move-out must occur after you have removed all belongings from your room and are ready to leave the residence hall.
2. Your Resident Assistant will walk through the room with you and note any condition issues
• When you and your Resident Assistant leave your room at the completion of room move-out, windows should be closed, your lights should be off, and your door locked. Other staff, including Residence Life and Maintenance staff, will also walk through the building after everyone has moved out.
3. Within 30 minutes of completing room check-out, bring your Move Out Receipt card to the Area Office
• Turn in all hard keys/access cards/key fobs.
• Complete a change of address card so mail and packages will be forwarded to the correct location.
Please note: Rooms with trash or items left (that do not belong to a roommate that has not left) will not be cleared for move-out. This includes shelves, carpet, rental refrigerators, posters, etc. You must properly recycle or dispose of all items and trash before checking-out with your RA. Be sure to take your bike as it may be tagged for removal.
EXPRESS MOVE OUT:
You can forgo making an appointment with your Resident Assistant and check out of your room by signing up for an Express Move Out.
To utilize this option follow these steps:
1. Sign Up for an Express Move Out on the Sign Up Sheet on or near your Resident Assistant’s room door – this informs your RA that you will not need to arrange an appointment with them.
2. Get an Express Move Out Envelope from your RA or your Area Desk.
• Completely move out, clean your room thoroughly, windows should be closed, your lights should be off, and your door locked.
• Place your swipe card, and keys/fob in the Move Out Envelope (Sign, Initial and seal it).
• Turn in the envelope (with hard keys/access cards/key fob’s inside) to your Area Desk.
• Complete a change of address card.
• All steps must be completed by Noon on the Saturday of closing.
Please Note: By choosing an Express Move Out you forfeit your Right to Appeal any Damage Charges found by Residence Life Staff. Please do a very thorough job of cleaning your room and common areas if you select this option. This includes shelves, carpet, refrigerators, posters, etc. You must properly recycle or dispose of all items and trash before checking-out. Be sure to take your bike as it may be tagged for removal.
Students must move out by the established closing date(s) unless otherwise approved by UF Housing staff. At this time UF Housing cannot accommodate storage in a new room between the Summer B and Fall semester break
Keys and Fobs may be required to be returned during the break period between semesters. This will be discussed in your closing floor meeting with your Resident Assistant.
To learn more about storage options, please visit our storage solutions page.
Graduate and Family Housing
Contract Cancellation Instructions
All residents are obligated to pay 60 days’ rent from the required, official notification of an intent to vacate their apartment. Simply put, in order to avoid additional rent charges, residents must provide 60 days’ notice before moving out.
Notice of Intent to Vacate (NIV)
To provide 60 days’ notification, all residents must complete an NIV through the online resident portal located here. Residents are encouraged to submit their NIV 60-75 days prior to moving out. Residents who provide less than 60 days notice before moving out will be required to pay rent beyond their move out date.
Residents are required to move out on the date they provided through the online NIV form.
Once the 60 day obligation period has been reached prior to the move out date it cannot be changed. It is very important to be certain of a move out date before submitting the form.
Moving Out Early:
Residents may move out before their move out date, however, they will still be obligated to pay rent through the original move out date or until the end of their rental obligation, whichever comes later.
Moving Out Late:
Moving after a resident’s chosen move out date is not allowed. Residents who move out late may be required to renew their 60 day obligation in addition to other charges.
Moving Out of Your Apartment
Contact your village office for information about returning your keys, reporting apartment damages or other logistics involved with physically moving out of your apartment. More information can be found here: