Lake Alice during the day.


Student Housing Agreement appeals are available for students who show a significant unforeseen change in circumstance that prevents them from fulfilling the terms and conditions of their Housing Agreement. Students must provide dated documentation to support their appeal and complete the Contract Release Form.

For an appeal to be successful, the applicant needs to document to the satisfaction of the appeals committee that the reasons for the appeal cannot be addressed through transfer to different on-campus accommodations. Applicants for any appeal are encouraged to provide as much dated documentation as much as possible. The appeals committee can only make a determination based on the documentation provided to them.

Students seeking an appeal must complete the following:

  • Complete a typed statement in letter format. In the header, included your UFID, UF email address and your name as it is displayed in the UF directory.
  • Compile your supporting documentation into one PDF document with sensitive information redacted.
  • Login to and click on "Cancel Contract" in the "Contract" menu.
  • Follow the on screen prompts to submit your request and upload your documentation.

After your appeal has been submitted you will receive a confirmation email.

Please note, that submitting documentation for an appeal does not guarantee an approved appeal. Whether or not documentation provided is sufficient to grant an appeal is at the sole discretion of the appeals committee regardless of the type of documentation provided.

Each student is allowed one appeal. The final decision of the appeals committee cannot be overruled.

Fee Appeal 

Students must show a significant unforeseen change in circumstances to request a reversal of fees and must provide dated documentation supporting their appeal. Please email a written statement to along with dated documentation supporting their appeal.

For an appeal to be successful, the applicant for appeal needs to document to the satisfaction of the Appeals Committee. Applicants for any appeal are encouraged to provide as much dated documentation as available to support their appeal and should understand those appeal decisions are based not just on information provided, but also on other situational information, including residence hall occupancy metrics.

Releases that do not Require a Housing Appeal

If a student has an approved Medical Withdrawal for all classes from the Dean of Students Office at the University of Florida and would like to be released from their Housing contract, they should submit a request for cancellation online through the Housing Management System (HMS). Students will be required to pay for their residence hall space for the time they are in possession of the keys. Failure to return the keys will result in a full semester charge and lost key fees. The student does not need to submit a housing appeal if the Dean of Students Office can supply a memo on letterhead indicating medical withdrawal to

If you would like to request cancellation of your housing contract you do not need to submit an Application for Contract Release if you: 1) are participating in a study abroad program, internship, or work co-op, 2) are not enrolled in classes, or 3) are not attending the university. You must submit a cancellation request online through HMS. Visit, login, and select the Cancel Contract link. Please clearly indicate your reason for canceling your Housing contract. You will receive a response to your request within 2 business days. Students participating in internships, study abroad programs, and work co-ops are required to submit a letter on official letterhead from their academic college. This letter should clearly state the time span for the program and that the student will be receiving credit. A faculty or staff member from the appropriate college or office must sign the letter..

Activity Appeals

Fraternity or Sorority
Release from a Student Housing Agreement will not be granted for the purpose of residing in a fraternity or sorority house at any time during the contract period.

Internship, Work Co-op, or Study Abroad 
If a student is receiving academic credit for an internship, cooperative learning (co-op), or study abroad opportunity they can be released from their housing contract.

To cancel your Housing Agreement for any of these reasons please email for more information.

Appeals Timeline

The appeals committee reviews submissions weekly. Appeals received by 8 a.m. on Monday will be reviewed the same week and results will be emailed on Friday after 5 p.m. If a student has moved in, agreements cannot be canceled until they have moved out and returned their keys the the Area Office.

It is recommended that you do not sign a new lease agreement until you have received a formal written release from your residence hall agreement. If a contract or lease is completed in addition to the student's Residence Hall Agreement, then the student becomes responsible for both contracts/leases. Having another contract or lease is not grounds to be released from the Residence Hall Agreement.

Do you have questions?

Contact with any inquiries regarding the appeals process.

Email Us