Gainesville didn't get the nickname “Rainesville” by accident. Florida is a tropical state, which means humidity is prevalent year round. With high humidity levels, it’s important to control the moisture levels in your room. The best way to do this is by keeping your room tidy, running your AC regularly, and reporting any issues related to your HVAC unit immediately to prevent the growth of mold or mildew.
Mold and mildew are not uncommon in the state and can occur anywhere moisture may exist. The best way to eliminate the risk of encountering mold or mildew is to know what it is, what it looks like, and how to prevent it.
Mildew can be black, brown, yellow, pink, or orange and is often dusty looking. Mold is black, white, brown, or green and has a fuzzy appearance. If you see any areas of your room or belongings gain a few new spots, consider treating it right away. Small spots may be treated with eco-friendly cleaners such as vinegar, baking soda, or hydrogen peroxide. Alternatively, you can also use bleach diluted with water or other household cleaners to treat small areas. If you are consistently treating the same area, or have discovered a larger spot, submit an iService request and a member of our team will be by your room to address the concern.
How to Maintain your space
- Keep windows closed and keep your AC unit on. Thermostats should be set between 70 - 72 °F or if using a window unit between 5 and 6.
- For apartments, run your exhaust fan when showering.
- If you get caught in a rainstorm make sure to hang any damp clothing, shoes and towels to dry in a sunny or well ventilated area before storing or placing them in your hamper.
- Don't over pack closets or underbed storage. Make sure you’re leaving adequate space for air flow.
- Keep your space clean. Work with your roommate(s) to create and maintain a schedule to wipe down furniture, sweep and mop floors, as well as regularly do laundry. Custodial Services routinely clean bathrooms, restrooms, and common areas however, it is your responsibility to maintain the cleanliness of your room.
- Do not leave food or drinks out that may spoil. Dispose of any food properly.
- If you notice a buildup of moisture such as condensation, wipe it away with a dry cloth or paper towels.